PAD 505 Week 10 Assignment 4, Argument Paper - Multiyear Plans and Analysis
PAD 505 Assignment 4, Argument Paper – Multiyear Plans and Analysis
One conservative argument against Medicare and Social Security states that calling these programs “entitlement programs” is a misnomer and that they are actually the biggest income redistribution programs from the rich to the poor in the United States. Other conservatives state that stronger entitlement programs are nothing more than schemes for younger taxpayers to fund retirees. Proponents argue that Social Security benefits matter in the overall federal deficit reduction, and still others support privatization as the key to stabilizing the troubled system.
In a four- to five-page paper, address the following federal and state issues with entitlement programs:
- Are Social Security taxes a good investment?
- Evaluate the current funding process for Social Security and Medicare.
- In looking through the National budget entitlement programs such as Medicare and Medicaid represent the biggest threat to the U.S. budget deficit. What reforms do you suggest to help avoid an unsustainable increase to the debt?
- Do you think the federal government should increase spending on Social Security and Medicare for the elderly? If not, should the elderly fund retirement and medical costs?
- Do you believe government efforts to manage Social Security and Medicaid has made things worse or better? Provide research support for your position (in the summary of the paper).
- Discuss your recommendations to deal with the rising costs of Social Security and Medicare as well as the Welfare Reform Act of 1996.
|Institution & Term/Date|